How to insure, convert and make legal (register to PKW) used LKW.

hafomatic

Jung-Mitglied
Mein Auto
T6 Kombi
Motor
TDI® 63 KW
Hallo,

Es tut mir leid, dass ich auf Englisch geschrieben habe, aber mein Deutsch ist noch nicht gut.

I have a question regarding steps which have to be taken to convert an VW T5 LKW Kasten van (3 seats) into an PKW van (5 seats) for personal use. Let me give you a little bit a background.

I'm about to buy VW T5 LKW which has divided cargo from driver (passenger) compartment. I would like to remove divider and install 2 seat California bench in the middle row. Also I would cut out and make passenger windows. Let's say I could do necessary work in couple of weeks. Later on I would add fixed cooker and water system. Do I need to install windows and seat bench in official garage shop or I am allowed to do it myself?

Where do I need to go to get approval to change car documents from LKW to PKW (also 3 seats to 5 seats)?

I wonder how should I proceed. Is there any difference in basic insurance (Haftpflicht) if car is registered as PKW or LKW? Where do I go to re-register Van from LKW into PKW once I make necessary changes e.g. nr. of seats/passengers that can ride in the van? Do I need change something in insurance policy once I re-register to PKW?

Should I buy basic insurance, convert the Van and then re-register in Zulassungsstelle?

Thanks for any help in the answers.

Best thing would be finding an good TÜV (or Dekra, GTÜ etc.) engineer and talk to him about your plans.
I'm not too sure about the seats, the mounts need to be welded to the body I think, and it might be necessary to have that done by a certified welder.
Windows shouldn't be an issue, did that last week too.

You'll get the approval at TÜV (and similar above-named companys), with the paper you got there you go to the Zulassungsstelle and have your registration changed.

There should be quite a big difference in the price of PKW vs LKW insurance, the later one should be more expensive, as it's usually with unlimited kilometers.

Thank you very much Schumo for your answer.
I called Dekra office and they told me it is possible to do it. I would need to schedule an appointment with their technician, and that checkup would cost around 120€. Checkup is to verify if seats are properly connected, if seatbelts are properly connected etc. If all is fine they would issue a document which I take to Zulassungsstelle and change registration.

For the seats there are official VW mounts that can be bought. It is necessary to remove fuel tank and drill some holes to install these mounts. Then seats just click into the position. Also mounting seat belts is not that complicated.

I already got an offer from one specialized VW T4/T5 Werkstatt that would do it for 500-700€. I only need to buy 2 seater.

Zurück
Oben